The application process itself is complicated and difficult, particularly for students coming from abroad. In order to put together a successful application, students must understand what American admissions committees are looking for. Students often find that many questions come up along the way:
- How do I select which schools to apply to? And how many?
- What are my chances of admission?
- There is no early decision to boarding school! How do I make my application stand out?
- What should I write about in my essays?
- How can I prepare for interviews?
- After receiving offers of acceptance, how do I decide where to go?
- How do I navigate deferrals and waitlists?
This program is designed for a student who needs step-by-step guidance through multiple aspects of the secondary school admissions process. After the initial consultation, a School Choice consultant will guide and support the student toward finding and gaining admission to the school of his or her choice.
Application Guidance Services include:
- Intake: Detailed review and assessment of educational history. Provide a thorough explanation of the student’s record from the perspective of a selective college board of admissions.
- Strategy: Assessment and clarification of educational goals. Identify the student’s passions and interests, and assist the student in communicating / highlighting them in applications. Create a one-year strategic plan including calendars for testing, recommendations for coursework, activities, summer experiences, community service and internships.
- Portfolio Preparation: Assembly of the student’s transcripts, test results, certificates, legal documents (e.g. passport, birth certificate), and letters of recommendation. Translation of documents is available a la carte.
- School Selection: The consultant with work with the student and family to develop a target list of 10-12 appropriate schools. The consultant will provide summaries on each school. After the student and family carefully reviews this information with the consultant, they will narrow down to a final list of 6-8 schools for the application process.
- Admissions Process: Review of application timeline and procedures.
- School Visits: Assistance with planning school visits, scheduling appointments. If additional assistance is needed with travel arrangements, a referral to a bilingual travel agent can be made.
- Examination Preparation: Guidance on standardized testing preparation and scheduling tests.
- Essay Writing Assistance: Advise on topics and revising personal statements. While we do not write essays for students, we do make suggestions for content, structure, style, tone, vocabulary and spelling. We will review, comment, and correct subsequent revisions until the student and consultant agree the essays are in optimal shape for submission.
- Supplemental Materials: Strategize how to demonstrate unique talents (i.e. artwork, science abstracts, writing and music samples) through additional materials.
- Application Review: Thorough evaluation of all aspects of application prior to submission, which includes identification of any “red flags” (problems, omissions, inconsistencies, unanswered questions, etc.) that may hinder a student’s chances of admission. The consultant will review all findings and make suggestions for improvement with the student.
- Interview Preparation: Mock interview.
- Decision Counseling: Guidance in evaluating admission offers and making a final decision.